Fishing Re-Cap 08 Sep 2012

Just finished a mammoth fishing session with two days on Bewl and three on Rutland water. At Bewl the Soldier Palmers had a chance to steal group two in the AMFC, this would win us promotion back into group one. Bewl had been fishing hard with those in the know saying you had to get your fish quick or struggle through the rest of the day. True to form from around 1000hrs up to about 1230hrs I had managed 8 fish to the boat. I touched base with the rest of the guys most had done OK. The remainder of the day was a grinder and I only managed another two fish. The rest of the boys had a mixed bag with some doing very well and others struggling. The match day forecast was a flat calm and sure enough, when we arrived it was a mill pond.

After a hearty breakfast we found out who our boat partners were and I was over the moon to have been drawn with one of the Kent and Sussex boys Bob Holland. There were no secrets and I think it is fair to say that most anglers expected a tough time of it. At this point, I would like to say we were all wrong and it fished its socks off. That, of course, would be a complete lie, with no wind to cover the water it was very poor as the clock ticked on I knew the time for catching fish was almost over 12 o’clock was fast approaching. I was very lucky and managed two fish before the magic first couple of hours finished. Bob was having no joy and many of the boats had moved from the main basin to the Cages. On arriving and speaking with my teammates there seemed to be a few fish being caught. Bob changed to a floater and in short order (one after the other) caught three fish although he did drop one. I changed for nothing so went back to my slow glass also for no more action. We ventured further up Hook straight where Bob managed another fish, but after a long period of not much else, we decided to have the last hour back in the basin. Although we did see a number of fish moving we could tempt no more. I think we were both glad to get off the water.