Rutland Water 30 May 2017

As a Loch Style competition angler, most of my days afloat are spent practicing for some match or other. You have to turn up find fish then leave them be and go and find some more. Don’t get me wrong I love it or I would not bother doing it. Today though I was out for a pleasure day with Ian Pinder. I had spoken with Ronnie Christie who had been out the week before with another Soldier Palmer, Peter Harrop. They had a challenging day afloat which did not bode well for Ian and I. I caught up with Al Owen who has pretty much lived on Rutland four days a week since the start of the season. His knowledge of Rutland is unparalleled, and I was heartened to hear that the fishing was still going well.


The last time Ian and I fished was spent by buoy 14 and he was keen to have a quick drift there before we had a look around. The conditions were excellent a good breeze with overcast conditions. I had set up with a midge tip and a cast of nymphs, while Ian set up with a 12’ midge tip with similar flies. On drifting by buoy 14 a feisty Rainbow snatched my fly on the lift and that was the start of a most remarkable day afloat I have ever had!

I decided to head out to the boils and have a fish around them and I started to pick up the odd fish here and there on the drift. We had drifted from the boil towards the Normanton bank it took some time but by the time we had reached the bank I had managed five to the boat. As we motored up to start our next drift we saw Al Owen and his two clients fishing the rudder and taking plenty fish. Al shouted over that the best drift was much nearer the dam, we would get there eventually. I was still on the midge tip but I recommended to Ian that he change to a slow intermediate. The change brought instant success and Ian was soon playing his fist fish of the day. This prompted me to change to a fast glass and the fun really began.

There were a couple of boats down beside us and unless I have missed my guess I would say they were a party of Scotsmen down for a jolly it was there dulcet tones that gave them away. One of the boats seemed to be doing rather well the other boat was getting the odd one or two. I won’t bore you with all the details but over the next couple of hours we boated forty fish between us. There were lots of others that were off and on some were lost much closer to the nets. They were in fine fettle and fought hard, many Blue trout were amongst them. As the wind picked up a little we decided to go for a look up the North arm so we made the trip all the way to the top. There were already a couple of boats up here but they were fishing from anchored boats. Not a fan of dropping the chain we had a fruitless drift all the way to Dickenson’s Bay. Once there we drifted from the mouth to the bottom of the bay for not even a nibble. It was after this that we decided to head back to the basin.


Back in the basin it took me a little while to get back in touch with the fish, whereas Ian was all over it like a fat kid on chocolate! He was really getting stuck in. I was catching plenty but they were proving rather reluctant to come to the net. For a bit of fun, I said to Ian that every time one of us lost a fish the other would shout W****R! So, if you happened to be fishing today and you heard a couple of numpties shouting profanities please accept my apology. Once back on it I started to get them two at a time much to Ian’s disgust…lol. It had been an absolutely amazing day with over sixty fish to the boat a real beano! Its days like this that make up for all those other days when your scraping around for a take, and I have had a few of those!


Rutland water is having one of the best seasons I can recall in twenty-five years of fishing the venue. Let’s all hope that it lasts, if you can get up there now!